As the world emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic and enters the Decade of Action, we collectively need to think about the efforts and adjustments needed to make good on the promise of the SDGs.
We call on the importance of tackling Goal 10 – Reducing inequalities as the best framework to promote the social, economic and political inclusion of all. It is necessary to ensure equal opportunity for all individuals and groups taking part in our society, independently of their characteristics, backgrounds or identity.
Club de Madrid calls on the global community to reinvigorate its approach and commitments to Agenda 2030 in light of the post-COVID reality. For this reason, together with the Permanent Mission of Portugal to the United Nations, we are organising this activity as a side-event of the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development.
Social development policies after the COVID-19 pandemic: Reducing inequalities to make everyone count
6 July – 13:00-14:30 (New York time) / 19:00-20:30 (CET Time)
This activity is a side-event of the High Level Political Forum on Sustinable Development
13:00 Welcome remarks (6 minutes)
- -Mr. Nuno Mathias, Deputy Permanent Representative of Portugal to the United Nations
- –Mª Elena Agüero, Secretary General, Club de Madrid
13:10 Key issues on Social Development after the COVID-19 Pandemic – (10 minutes)
- –Deepak Xavier, Head of Inequality Advocacy and Campaigns, Oxfam International
- –Mumtaz Mughal, Director of Aurat Foundation (Pakistan)
13:20 The call for a new global compact on social development (20 minutes)
- -Overview on World Summit for Social Development proposal by Juan Somavia, ILO Director General (1999-2012) (5 minutes)
- –Danilo Turk, President of Club de Madrid, President of Slovenia 2007-2012, UN Assistant Secretary General for Political Affairs 2000-2005, Ambassador of Slovenia to the UN 1992-2000
- –Aminata Touré, Prime Minister of Senegal (2013-2014) and Club de Madrid Member
13:40h – Views from UN System / UN Member States – Multilateral and National approaches to social inequality (20 minutes)
- .H.E. Ambassador Omar Hilale, Permanent Representative of Morocco to the UN
- -Mr. Fabián Oddone, Deputy Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN
- -Mr. Nuno Mathias, Deputy Permanent Representative of Portugal to the UN
14:00h – Q&A (20 minutes)
14:20h – Closing remarks (5 minutes)
- –Danilo Türk, President of Club de Madrid