Manuel Muñiz is the Provost of IE University and Dean of IE School of Politics, Economics and Global Affairs. In these capacities, he is responsible for the university’s international expansion through strategic alliances and for research and teaching in Public Policy, Global Affairs and Economics. In 2023, Manuel Muñiz was elected President of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs (APSIA), an international educational alliance that brings together the leading graduate schools from all over the world.
He is also Head of the IE Arts & Humanities Division and founder of the IE Centre for the Governance of Change, which examines the challenges posed by accelerated societal and technological transformation on both the public and private sectors.
Manuel Muñiz served as State Secretary (Vice Minister) at the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 2020 to 2021. In this role, he was responsible for the ministry’s Strategy and Foresight Unit, the Economic Diplomacy Team, and the Communications Department. He coordinated Spain’s 2021–2024 Foreign Policy Strategy and led the work on the National Strategy on Technology and Global Order.
Previously, Manuel Muñiz was Director of the Program on Transatlantic Relations at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs, and Fellow at Harvard University’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs, where he was one of the promoters of the Project on Europe and the Transatlantic Relationship. He was also lecturer at Tufts University, Teaching Fellow at the University of Oxford, Research Fellow at Sciences Po Paris, and consultant for the UN Support Mission in Libya.
He has received an array of recognitions including the Trilateral Commission’s David Rockefeller Fellowship, the Körber Foundation’s 2017 Munich Young Leader Fellowship, the Atlantic Council’s Millennium Fellowship, and the Eisenhower Fellowship.
Manuel Muñiz holds a DPhil (PhD) in International Relations from the University of Oxford, a Master in Public Administration from Harvard University, a Master in Financial Markets from the Instituto de Estudios Bursatiles in Madrid, and a Bachelor in Law from Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
Selection of articles:
- “Der Einfluss der USA und Europas in Lateinamerika schwindet” (The influence of the USA and Europe in Latin America is waning), Handelsblatt, September 2023 (link);
- “AI, Democracy, and the Global Order”, Project Syndicate, with Samir Saran, May 2023 (link);
- “Perspectives Transatlantiques sur un Ordre Mondial Fracturé”, (The Fracturing of the Global Order – Transatlantic Perspective), Politique Étrangère, March 2023 (link);
- “Education for a more Equitable Society”, IE Insights, September 2022 (link);
- “Gobernemos la Tecnología para Reforzar la Democracia”, (Governing Technology to Strengthen Democracy), ABC, June 2022 (link);
- “Un Nuevo Orden Internacional”, (A New Global Order), El Mundo, March 2022 (link);
- “Technology and the Global Struggle for Democracy”, Project Syndicate, January 2022 (link);
- “Diplomacia Económica para un Nuevo Contrato Social,” (Economic Diplomacy for a New Social Contract), El País, July 2020 (link);
- “A New Social Contract for the Digital Age”, in Work in the Age of Data, BBVA Open Mind, Turner, pp. 106-118, 2019 (link);
- “The Coming Technological Cold War,” Project Syndicate, April 2019 (link);
- “El Retorno de la Historia” (The Return of History), ABC, October 2018 (link);
- “Domestic Enemies and the Collapse of the Transatlantic Order,” Atlantic Community, May 2018 (link);
- “Le Triangle de Distribution Emplois – Productivité – Revenu ne Fonctionne Plus,” (The Distribution Triangle of Employment – Productivity – Income Does not Work Any More), Le Monde, November 2017 (link);
- “Economic Growth is No Longer Enough,” Project Syndicate, November 2017 (link).
Selection of video interviews with relevant figures:
- Josep Borrell, High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission, February 2023 (link);
- Raja Mohan, Senior Fellow, Asia Society, December 2022 (link);
- Margrethe Vestager, Executive Vice-President of the European Commission for a Europe fit for the Digital Age, December 2022 (link);
- Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand, interviewed by Manuel Muñiz, Provost at IE University, July 2022 (link);
- Ban Ki-moon, former Secretary General of the United Nations, interviewed by Manuel Muñiz, Provost at IE University, June 2022 (link);