2023 will be an important year for Spain’s efforts to contribute to the strengthening of the European project. On 1 July it will take over the presidency of the Council of the European Union at a key moment at the end of the cycle of the European legislature. The Spanish presidency of the EU in 2023 will have to be a reflection of Spain’s privileged position, and will be an opportunity to promote such important strategic priorities for Spain as strengthening the strategic relationship between the European Union and Latin America and the Caribbean.
In an international context of growing geopolitical polarisation marked by the pandemic, the growing presence of China, the war in Ukraine and what it means for the European Union in particular and for democracy in general, strengthening the link between Europe and Latin America and the Caribbean is, to say the least, strategic. A strategic alignment of both regions in terms of shared values would be decisive in transforming the multilateral agenda and addressing global challenges.
Club de Madrid aims to contribute to Spain’s efforts to strengthen the strategic relationship between the European Union and Latin America and the Caribbean through the experience of Club de Madrid Members from both regions through the project: “European Union, Latin America and the Caribbean: A future of shared values”.
This session is aimed at generating a process of analysis and debate on the strategic relationship between the European Union and Latin America and the Caribbean in order to identify those elements, cooperation mechanisms and concrete proposals that will help Spain to position the importance of strengthening the strategic relationship and linkage between both regions in the context of the Spanish Presidency of the European Union.
10:00h – 11:30h (CET)
Secretaría General Iberoamericana
Paseo de Recoletos, 8 – Madrid
The event will be attended by:
- Ricardo Lagos President of Chile (2000-2006) and Member of Club de Madrid
- Danilo Türk President of Slovenia (2007-2012) and President of Club de Madrid
- María Fernanda Espinosa Former Foreign Minister of Ecuador, President of the 73rd General Assembly of the United Nations and Club de Madrid Advisor
- Andrés Allamand Ibero-American Secretary General (SEGIB)
- Pascual Navarro State Secretary for the European Union
- Ivan Jancarek Ambassador of the Czech Republic to Spain, current holder of the Presidency of the Council of the European Union (July – December)
The conversation will be moderated by Áurea Moltó, director of Política Exterior.