The research shows that there are three main factors that lead to terrorism and identifies countries at risk of increased terrorist activity over the next few years.
- 17,958 people were killed in terrorist attacks last year, that’s 61% more than the previous year.
- 82% of all deaths from terrorist attack occur in just 5 countries: Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Nigeria and Syria.
- Iraq is the country most impacted by terrorism; last year there were 2,492 terrorist attacks in Iraq which killed 6,362 people.
- Last year terrorism was dominated by four groups: ISIL, Boko Haram, al Qa’ida and the Taliban.
- 40 times more people are killed by homicides than terrorist attacks.