“More than three weeks after the abduction of Mr. Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mr. Mehdi Karoubi, former Prime Minister and Parliament Speaker of Iran and prominent candidates to the presidential elections, together with their respective wives, their families are without news of their situation.
As no Iranian authorities appear to assume legal responsibility for these disappearances and serious threats have been levelled against them, we wish to express our concern about their fate. We draw your attention to the fact that these flagrant violations of the rule of law may discredit the institutions towards which you have the ultimate responsibility.
We urge you to restore to these people and their families the rights and legitimate protection granted to them by the legal principles recognized in the Law and the international obligations of your country”.
The letter was signed by the following Members of the Club de Madrid:
- Wim Kok, Prime Minister of the Netherlands (1994-2002) and President of the Club of Madrid
- César Gaviria, President of Colombia (1990-1994) and Vice- President of the Club of Madrid
- Abdul-Kareem Al Eryani, Prime Minister of Yemen (1980-1983 and 1998-2001)
- Sadiq Al Mahdi, Prime Minister of Sudan (1966-1967 and 1986-1989)
- Valdis Birkavs, Prime Minister of Latvia (1993-1994)
- Kjell Magne Bondevik, Prime Minister of Norway (1997-2000 and 2001-2005)
- Lionel Jospin, Prime Minister of France (1997-2002)
- Chandrika Kumaratunga, President of Sri Lanka (1994-2005)
- Cassam Uteem, President of Mauritius (1992-2002)